Monday, September 17, 2012

Happiest Place on Earth

Yesterday we spent the day at Disneyland, and had a great time.  My feet are sore and I'm exhausted, but that doesn't leave a dent on the amazing experience we had.


It's my third time at Disneyland, and the other two trips were last year.  I'm a new-found Disneyland fan, a skeptic if you will.  I didn't understand why people had such a fascination with the theme park, figuring it was no better than a Six Flags or Busch Gardens, and that it would be cheesy and filled with annoying people and that the rides would be too tame.  I couldn't have been further from the truth.  The minute I walk into the park, I'm transformed into this wide-eyed and curious human being, whisked into this world where not a single detail has been overlooked and nothing is out of place.  Disney are absolutely the masters at creating immersive experiences where every single one of our senses are utilized to make for a whole world of fun.  If you are at all a fan of music, movies, or video games, you need to visit with an open mind.

The Pirates of the Caribbean ride manages to use animatronics without making them creepy or cheesy, and captures the sense of adventure that you feel when you watch the movies.  The Halloween makeover of the Haunted Mansion is themed with The Nightmare Before Christmas, which is one of my favorite movies.  It was absolutely breathtaking how they transformed the mansion into something completely different for Halloween, and I loved it.  Halloween is my favorite holiday, with Christmas in second place, so this was perfect.  The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is one of my favorite rides because it's an old wooden coaster yet is still smooth and not jarring at all.  And World of Color is an experience that brings a tear to my eyes every time.
I will never grow tired of Disneyland. I've been three times and I haven't not seen even half of the attractions.  Next year I'm buying an annual pass and going as often as possible.  Luke also had a ton of fun and was even more skeptical than I was.  It's an inspiring experience for anyone who makes interactive media for a career or hobby, and we had an amazing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment